Your treasured fabrics can be on permanent display with the Keepsake Quilted Pillow.
- 1 yard rose medium-weight fabric such as silk, moiré, or antique satin
- 9 squares lace or doilies, 4 X 4 inches
- 1 yard fusible tricot interlining
- 2/3 yard lightweight fusible webbing
- Matching or monofilament sewing thread
- 16-inch polyester fiberfill pillow form
To make the Keepsake Quilted Pillow Pattern:
- Iron fusible tricot to back of medium-weight fabric. Iron fusible webbing to back of lace squares. Remove paper backing.
- From medium-weight fabric, on straight of grain, cut six 2 X 4-inch strips, two 2 X 131/2-inch strips, two 21/2 X 131/2-inch strips, two 21/2 X 18-inch strips, nine 4-inch squares, and two 13 X 18-inch rectangles.
- Fuse lace squares to fabric squares. Arrange in pleasing pattern of 3 squares by 3 squares.
- Stitch together 3 rows of 3 lace squares each, with 2 X 4-inch fabric strips between squares. Join rows together with 2 X 131/2-inch strips between rows, carefully maintaining alignment of squares and strips. Stitch 21/2 X 131/2-inch strips to either side of pillow top. Stitch 21/2 X 18-inch border strips to top and bottom.
- Fold 1 long edge of one 13 X 18-inch rectangle over 1/4 inch and press. Fold over 1/4 inch again and stitch along folded edge. Repeat for other 13 X 18-inch rectangle. Lay rectangles on a flat surface, overlapping finished edges to create 18-inch square for pillow back. Stay-stitch along overlapped edges.
- Pin pillow top to back with right sides together. Mark centers of each side 1/2 inch from edge. Mark corners 1 inch from edge. Draw lines connecting centers and corners. This will counteract the tendency toward "rabbit ear" corners. Stitch along drawn lines around all 4 sides. Remove stay-stitching from pillow back, trim corners diagonally, and turn. Insert pillow form.