- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced leek (about 1 large)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 cups chopped peeled butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 pound)
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
PreparationHeat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek and next 5 ingredients (leek through garlic), and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add squash, water, and apple; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until tender.
Place half of soup in a blender; process until smooth. Pour puréed soup into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with the remaining soup. Return soup to pan; stir in cream and salt. Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle each serving with about 1 tablespoon cilantro.